Post-Apocalyptic Fiction Writer T.W. Piperbrook tagged me for “The Next Big Thing.” His post-apocalyptic fiction with infected human zombies, including Contamination: Book Zero St. Matthews and Contamination: Book One The Onset, can be found on Amazon and other online retailers, and we hope to see his third novel sometime in February 2013.
1) What is the working title of your current/next book? Sworn to Raise
2) Where did the idea come from? The book is actually a prequel to my young adult fantasy novel, Red Madrassa. As Red Madrassa was being published a new book series came nudging into my mind – a series that focused solely on a smart, sassy and brilliant young woman who could save her kingdom. Rather than a sequel to Red Madrassa, this book called Sworn to Raise, is the companion to it. It’s a bigger book, early readers say it’s a better book, and it’s just about ready to share with you.
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition? Hmm, I like this question. I can only think of one for now and that would definitely be Selena Gomez playing the part of my main character Ciardis Vane, who is a gypsy cleaner turned Princess Companion of Hispanic descent.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? A young woman who never thought she could go beyond her small town is chosen for the Companion’s Court and learns that only she can raise a Prince before an Imperial Court sworn to bring him down.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Self-published. My first book was self-published in November 2012 and it’s doing really well. I love the freedom of setting my own publishing schedule, choosing the cover art, and uploading to Amazon. The first sale notification is like Nirvana.
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft? Depends – my first book took a year. This next one is taking half of that.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? I think the Courtlight series is most like Michelle Sagara’s Chronicle of Elantra series and Kristine Cashore’ Graceling series.
Happy New Years!